Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ironman Update 2 months to go....

The year seems to be flying by and its crazy to be in May already but I guess that when you spend most of your time training, working or sleeping there is little time to remember all the other fun & games that go on! April was a solid month of training and although I didn't hit 40 hours, there was a small matter of the London Marathon which snuck in the middle and the recovery etc left me slightly short!

Swim: - 7.6 miles, 5.6 hours
Bike: - 319.6 miles, 18.8 hours
Run: - 61.4 miles, 9.6 hours
Cross train: - 10 miles, 4.7 hours

Total: - 398.59 miles, 38.73 hours

Swim: - less than usual in the pool this month, but some good sessions - I've been concentrating on the other two disciplines while maintaining my swimming quite nicely!

Bike: - lots of cycling, lots of hills, faster stuff and laps of the Forestman course! Its going pretty well and I've no complaints, put in some 100 mile plus weekends and there will be plenty more come May...

I feel in pretty good shape for the ride, a few more 100 mile rides will give me the peace of mind (I hope) in order to relax on the actual day, I also need to relax my shoulders a bit more in order to aid the comfort side of things, which will tell after 6-7 hours in the saddle.

Run: - pretty much totally dominated by the London Marathon...short story is that it didn't go to plan but was amazing, long story is here... http://ironmantd2011.blogspot.com/2011/04/virgin-london-marathon-2011.html

I had very tight legs for the whole of April and never really settled in to my rhythm on any of my long runs, I have now ran twice since the marathon, first run was not good and I struggled but the second, along the Devon coastal path felt more like my old self which was a good feeling....there is no doubt it takes sometime to shake 26.2 miles out of the body....especially for a first timer!

So overall I am happy, as of today (3rd May) I have 7.5 weeks to go, which with a 3 week taper (gradual decrease till game day) leaves me 4.5 weeks of quality hard training...that's a month...just one normal little month...gulp! I've introduced a lot more protein into my diet and with this and a lot of will power has got my weight too a slightly more reasonable level, but a bit more weight loss will be very beneficial indeed! When taper time comes around I'll be able to drop a kilo or two more.

Soooo not much more time for all you lovely people to donate if you can....

www.justgiving.com/timdonell or www.justgiving.com/timdonell1

It really makes a difference!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment